We, Sisters of the Divine Savior (also known as Salvatorian Sisters), are a worldwide community of religious women. We collaborate with other members of our Salvatorian Family (Salvatorian Priests and Brothers; Salvatorian Laity – married and single), sharing a particular spirit of universality inherited from our Founder, Father Francis Mary of the Cross Jordan. We come from many cultures and nations. We choose to live by common values, work for the same goals, and share resources. This is one important way we witness to Christian gospel values
Through our life style and humanitarian service we express our conviction that God loves humanity in all its diversity. We respect values within all cultures and religions that promote full human development for each person and social grouping. We are motivated to work for justice by our commitment to empower people forgotten on the margins of society.
The Congregation of the Sisters of the Divine Savior was the second foundation established by Fr. Francis Mary of the Cross Jordan. In 1881 Fr. Jordan founded the Society of the Divine Savior, then known as the Apostolic Teaching Society, in Rome. His ultimate goal was to involve people from all walks of life to work together for the advancement of religious faith. He believed in service to the local church and to the spreading of faith in mission countries.
Jordan was convinced that all professional means should be directed toward strengthening the faith of all people, so that their primary goal in life would be achieved – to know Jesus Christ in order to experience the God of Love and Life. Jordan hoped to involve the laity as equal partners in this apostolic mission within the church and society. These convictions gave rise to the spirit of universality that now marks all Salvatorians (the common name used by the religious and lay members of the Salvatorian Family).
Therese von Wüllenweber, a German baroness, met and shared Jordan’s vision. The Congregation began in 1888. By 1890 Fr. Jordan sent Priests and Brothers to serve in Northeast India. In 1891 Mother Mary of the Apostles, as Therese was then known, sent Sisters to work with the women and children of the new Indian mission.
Mother Mary of the Apostles loved the missions. She felt that women should be able to serve as true collaborators in every type of apostolic work, with special attention directed toward the needs of women and children. Within a few years the small group of Sisters moved from Tivoli, Italy, where they had begun, to Rome. Today Rome continues to be a gathering place for all Salvatorians.
Currently there are about 964 professed members in the Congregation. They live and work in 26 countries worldwide.